Parshat Shavua from Rav Uziel Milevsky
Recorded Lectures by Rabbi Uziel Milevsky
- (1) Breshit
- (2) Noach 1 (20 mb)
- (3) lech_lecha_PartII-1.mp3
- (3) lech_lecha_Part_II_-2.mp3
- (3) lech_lecha_Part_II_-3.mp3
- (3) lech_lecha_Part_III_-1.mp3
- (3) lech_lecha__Part_III_-2.mp3
- *(5)chayeh_sara 1
- *(5)chayeh_sara 2
- *(6) Toldot 1
- *(6) Toldot 2
- (8) VaYishlach 1
- (8) VaYishlach 2 (lower)
- **(8) VaYishlach 3
- **(8) VaYishlach 4
- ****(9)VaYeshev (long)
- (9) VaYeshev 3
- (9) VaYeshev 4
- (9) VaYeshev 3 (lower level)
- (9) VaYeshev 4 (lower level)
- (10) Miketz
- (10) Miketz 3 - dec 31, 1986
- (10) Miketz 4 - jan 1, 1987
- *miketz 6
- (11) VaYigash
- (15) Bo 3 - Feb 4, 1987
- **(15) Bo 3
- (15) Bo 4.1 - Feb 5, 1987
- (15) Bo 4.2 - Feb 5, 1987
- *(16) Bashalach 1
- *(16) Bashalach 2
- (17) Yisro
- **(17) Yitro 1
- **(17) Yitro 2
- **(18) Mishpatim 1
- **(18) Mishpatim 2
- **(20) Tetzaveh 2
- **(20) Tetzaveh 3
- **(21) Ki Tisa 1 Include the Klal In Prayers
- **(21) Ki Tisa 2Mishkan After Sin of Golden Calf
- **(21) Ki Tisa 1
- **(21) Ki Tisa 2
- (22)Vayakel 2
- (22)Vayakel 3
- (23)Pekudeh 1
- (23)Pekudeh 2
- (26)Shmini 3
- (26)Shmini 4
- (27)Tazria 1 and 2 April_28_1987
- **(27)Tazria 1a
- **(27) Tazria 1
- **(27) Tazria 2
- (29) Acharrei Mot (24mb)
- (29) Acharrei Mot 2
- (30) Kedoshim 2
- (31) Emor 1 undated
- (31)Emor 2 may 13 1986
- (31)Emor 3 may 14 1986
- (31) Emor 5 (lower level)
- (32) Behar 4
- *(32) Behar 4
- (33) BeChukosai 1
- *(33) Bechukosai 1
- (34) BeMidbar 2
- (36) BeAholotecha_4.mp3
- (37) Shlach_Lecha_1.mp3
- *(38) Korach 3
- (38) Korach_4.mp3
- (39) Chukat 1
- (39) Chukat 2 july 9th 1986
- (39) Chukat 3 july 10th 1986
- **(39) Chukat 3 5th Aliah
- *(40) Balak 1
- *(40) Balak 2
- *(40) Balak 2[Seperateness of Jews]
- *(40) Balak 3 [Pyramid of Kedusha]
- (41) Pinhas 1
- (41) Pinhas 2
- *(42)matos 1
- *(42)matos 2
- *(43)maseh 3
- *(43)maseh 3
- (44) devarim 1
- (44) devarim 1 (end)
- (44) devarim_2.mp3
- (44) devarim_2_spies.mp3
- (44) devarim_3.mp3
- (44)Devarim 2 about Yitro
- *(45) vaetchanan 1
Regarding Moshe's Prayer to enter land to eat fruits? Torah Temima's Question and answer - a better
pshat in Mitzvah Lehitkayem al yado. Two versions of kriat shma. One singular with maod and one
plural. Plural one is for Jew who must work not like Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai
- **(45)VaEtchanan 1 (Shimon Bar Yochai - Learning Torah Patur)
- **(48) Shoftim (Judges Guard the Torah 1)
- **(48) Shoftim (Judges Guard the Torah 2)
- **(48)Shoftim 1
- **(48) Shoftim 2 (Bilaam)
- **(48) Shoftim (Rambam Taamei HaMitzvot)
- *(49)Ki Teitzei 2
- **(49)Ki Teitzei 4
- * (51) Nitzavim 1
- *(51) Nitzavim 2
- *(51) Nitzavim 1 (lower level) Regarding Oath to keep Mitzvoth
- (51) Nitzavim 1 - R. Milevsky explains the Shem MiShmuel that
"we are standing there today..." means we saw a clarity that we wanted to commit to Mitzvot so we made an oath
that later when the clarity isn't there we'll also keep our commitment, remembering our clarity of old, even when
we don't see the truth. Like a person sees that smoking is bad when he is hospitalized and he commits not to smoke
then he tells his wife not to give him cigarettes. Later he asks for a cigarette. She says no, you told me
not to give you. He says but now I am saying give me. She says no, then in the past you had clarity, that was the real
authoritative you. This is the whole concept of Oath. Why promise to do something if you want to you'll do it.
But no, you'll lose your enthusiasm with time.
Therefore the oath keeps you doing what you really want.
- (51) Nitzavim 2
- (53) haAzinu1
- (54) Vezos HaBracha part 0
- (54) Vezos_HaBracha_part_1
- (54) Vezos HaBracha part 2
- (54) Ve Zos HaBracha
- **(54)VeZos HaBracha 2
Kriat HaTorah [fight or keep quiet, Aliah for Kofer,Tinok shenishba, lying,gerim (12June1987)
- Shailas requiring information, inference and judgement (chochma, binah , daas)
- Rambam that where unsure how the Din is Noteh one is lenient regarding rabbinic laws.
- Knowing how the din is noteh means following the godolim, unless no concensus.
- Rabbi Dovid Zvi Hoffman that our sevaros are so sharp we cannot trust them
- Rov Dachukim Emet
- Minyan of only 8? Orphan Kaddish. Slaughtering 8 day calf.
Reading_Torah_Hair_Covering_Ein_meviim_raya_17_jul_1987.mp3 (93 mb)
- adding an aliah
- Bar mitzvah on Sunday?
- Rav Yaakov Kaminetsky: You must say it if your need to hear it yourself.
- Maharam Shik: Stay in city with Rashayim to guard against another taking the post. But don't allow pshia Gedola, women in choir, Organ, Rejecting Moshiach.
- Minimize the lie, Yaakov never said he was Esau.
- Rav Moshe: Need to be learned to be a Kofer, tinok sheNishba.
- Conversion: Is a false stated a commitment to mitzvot valid? Devarim sheBlev. No. We do know his lev, conversion invalid.
Rav Shach questioned orthodox conversion.
- Man in shul who is a learned Kofer: Do I object to his speaking? Litmus test: Are you perceived as a partner in the sin.
- Rav Moshe forbids calling a kofer: Reading is a mitzvah on Zibur. Brochot are a later addition. If one of the Olim is a kofer you miss out on mitzvah of 7 Olim, but you are still fulfilling Mitzvah of Kriat HaTorah.
Saying_I_dont_know30_Oct_1987.mp3 (106 mb)
Conversion Dec11 1987 - part1.mp3
- Read from Chumash and Sefer Torah (R. Moshe)
- Mechitza size
- Shma or Divrei Torah in front of non-tzanuah woman: Aruch HaShulchan Vs. Chazon Ish
- Haim Sonnenfeld allowed Ishto Nida because too difficult
- Issur Doresh Taima D'Kra
- Understanding original intent of gezerot.
Conversion - part 2.mp3
Reasons_for_Mitzvos_and_Pshat_27_Jan_1989.mp3 L'Karev el HaSechel
Reasons for Mitzvot and pshat 27 Jan 1989
Sensitive Issues: Holocaust (16 June 1989)
Randomness In Providence - How Prayer
works -Start (8 Mar 1990)
- Shlomo's wisdom: He saw that this woman would fall for the trick, he knows human nature
- Medrashim: Ratio that came out of Egypt 2:600,000. Literal? Meshech Chochma:Speaking only of who was really fit to come out.
- Maharal Milchemot Hashem (second introduction): Brocha was that each
woman had potential to give birth to 6. But nature sometimes limited
it. Miracle of stopping sun only for those involved.
- Torah: Hazon Ish against interpretting Torah metaphorically. Tower of Bavel, were they so foolish to think they could reach heaven? Why was G-d afraid? Story is not just for six year olds. Origin of having a subgroup, Israel. Tower symbol of man's independence from G-d. Adam told to control world for his benefit. Man is then limitless. (minute 30)
Torah and Science part 2
Torah and Science part 3
Public Relations with a community: explaining loopholes in the Law (24 May 1990)
Science and Torah 2.mp3
Science and Torah 3.mp3
Answering Reform and Conservative (5 July 1990):
Lo Beshamayim Hee. Halacha changes. Mayim Achronim. Korach made fun of
Moshe about a Tallis that is all techelet. White is Mitzvot, blue is
intention. Techelet does not prevent the white. Action is the main part.
The man who gathered on Shabbat was Leshem Shamayim but was wrong.
You can't do a sin for the right
reason,(Nefesh HaHayim) the spirit of the law is secondary to the doing of
the law. This is why the gatherer story is adjacent to tzitzit. (This was an
attack of the Hasidim who said that even after matan torah the spirit
Korah said we are on a different level from Moshe, we need to apply the Law
using our minds. And there are times not to apply the Law. We can't rely on
Moshe, we are on a new level. His rule are for his Level.
Real people need to make rulings for real life.k
Why does Korah rebel now (Ibn Ezra) Because a gap had developed between the Am and Moshe.
(reject the manna, Meraglim) Answer is parshat huchat, even if don't
Rashi in chukat, for 21 verses explains one way. without reasons for laws.
the he brings medrash explaing how mother cow purifies her son. etc.
Rashi contradicts self, is there a reason or no reason. Answer. First
accept the laws, then try to find reasons, but that is not the essence.
Removing Bameh Madlikim vs. Removing Korbanot in Shacharit. Is the intention
just to break from tradition.
Haaveh Metunim Badin. Altar has ramp.
Confidence (27 July 1990)
Odds and Ends
- Rav M Becher Bargaining with terrorists.mp3
- *Rav Becher refuting missionaries part 1
- *Rav Becher refuting missionaries part 2 15minutes
- Asher Wade anti-missionary tactics
- kashrus Rav Z Leff (side a)
- kashrus Rav Z Leff (side b)
- rebuke continued sefat emet
- Lashon HaRa (Re: Parents, Jews, Israel)
- *hagada 1a (c. 1986) Why Kiddush is part of the 4 cups. "Hotzeti". Hunger for
matzah = hunger to know story of Exodus. Goan break one of two Matzot. HaLachma Anya - Maharal, Jews ate Matzah in Egypt.
Matzah is simple bread, simplicity = freedom.
- ***hagada 2b (c. 1986)Re: Parshat Tazria - 40 days and Moshiach. Baruch HaMakom like Barchu.
Why tell wise son don't add after the afikomen? (ND Because telling him "siyag Lechochma shtika." Don't interrupt other - listen to their ideas and gauge your reaction. Think before you speak. not just be quiet to learn from others or
to not show your ignorance, but it is a siyag to retain what you have not a way to get more wisdom.) R. Milevsky explains that doing a mitzva l'shma. ShemMishmuel : eat even when not hungry, eat. I.e. learn that some things have no reason, yet
we do them regardless. Evil Son. Ma HaAvoda? (ND Ie why do avoda to G-d ? Serve him through mental acts instead. Or,
HaAvoda Lachem, you weren't in Egypt. Only they, who were redeemed should sacrifice animal. Or, How can man give anything
to G-d, G-d is koneh shamayim veAretz. - Lachem!
- hagada 1b
- hagada 2a
- hagada 3a repeats some of 2a (some blank space at end of file).mp3
- hagada 11
- Megillas Ruth 1. Why the significance placed by Hazal on Boaz teaching the blessing with G-d's
name. 2. Meaning of the sign of removing the shoes. 3. What was Ploni Almoin's problem with marrying a Moavit and why
would he allow Boaz to do it if it is forbidden? Book teaches Hesed. Ruth gave up her status and wealth.
Boaz says this is nothing compared to being willing to marry me. Mishle "Hesed Leumim Hatat" Goyim can have mishpat
but not hesed. Misdirected Hesed, missing the mark because lacks proper scale of values. Abraham was first to have the
proper understanding of hesed. Our hesed genes come from him. Lot's hesed was lacking emet. Does he have the right to
give daughters to townspeople? ........
- *Berel Wein - The Beginning of the Second Commonwealth 1
- * Cordozo - Milk and Meat
- *How Prayer Works 8-March-1990
- *Mikvaot_2 9-Jan-1988
- *Milevsky: Authority of Courts
- *Milevsky: Demonstrating That G-d Exists 26-April-1990
- *Milevsky: Stand Idly By, Rebuke
- Milevsky: Pesach Shavuos